Thursday, October 30, 2008

A Weekend of Excess


So I thought I'd blog about my weekend last week, because it was just that horrible. It's overwith now, so I can semi-laugh about it. First of all, our toilet flooded the house for 4 hours on Friday while Adam and I were at work. Adam said he came home and it sounded like a thunderstorm downstairs in the unfinished part of the basement (our overflowing toilet was upstairs). The water flooded the hallway and surrounding parts of the bathroom, and leaked through the ceiling/vents into the basement below. The picture with the washer/dryer shows the part of the basement that got soaked about an hour after it happened. A lot of the water had already dried up by then. There was about an inch of water there before, and it splashed 2 feet high up onto the walls. Adam soaked up tons of water with towels, and our neighbor lent us their shopvac to suck up the rest.




Heidi was scared of the vacuum though, and we thought it was hilarious. I know...we're so mean.


Finally, housing maintenance showed up and started to dry out the floor. They had to rip up the carpet and put fans underneath in 4 different places.

They're actually putting the carpet back in place as I'm typing this, and hopefully he'll fix the toilet this time.

So...the very next day (Saturday), I went to work at the bank. After we closed the bank around noon (I love banker's hours), I got into my car to leave. However, my battery was dead. I had left my headlights on. I couldn't get a hold of Adam for 30 minutes. Thankfully, my neighbor came and gave me a ride home. Other small things happened too that made this weekend a bad one, but I guess I should focus on the good things... right?

11 comments:

Mary Peterson said...

Hi Mary,
I found your blog through Amanda's. I hope you don't mind. Sorry to hear about your horrible weekend. When I lived in Dakota Ridge our toilet flooded the house twice. The pipes under the sink upstairs also burst and our ceiling came down in the family room. I don't know what is wrong with the plumbing, but unfortunately it is pretty common in Dakota Ridge. I'm glad that everything is getting fixed for you!

Kari and Joel said...

Oh No! That's horrible, I'm sorry your weekend was filled with so much excitment! Luckily it was an unfinished basement or it could have been really bad.
Hope you guys are doing well other wise!

Christina and Ryan said...

Focus on the good but complain about the bad because it makes you feel better. At least that's how it goes with me :)
I'm sorry that your weekend was awful. I probably would have cried. You should rent "Clueless" or a movie equally as awesome and watch it because it will brighten your day. I promise.

Tera said...

It is alway good to vent with others!! Sorry to hear about your busy weekend. Hopefully some good Halloween candy and a ton of trick or treaters will start this one off right!! IF nothing else lock yourself in your room pull out the 'hard chocolate' and go to town! It always helps me! Good luck

Jake & Rachel said...

I like your title for this one! I'm sorry you had such a bad weekend, it sounded pretty awful! They are putting the same carpet back down?? I guess it's not very humid there. Did any of your stuff get ruined?

Team Laws said...

what a bummer 4 u guys... I hope you are getting back 2 normal!

Mary and Adam said...

Luckily none of our stuff was ruined! We were really lucky. I guess there IS a point to picking up the stuff lying around. lol. Thanks for everyone's sympathy. :)

Just the three of us,,, said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Just the three of us,,, said...

Oh man that stinks! Atleast now you can look back and laugh. Your little dog is so cute. I wanted a dog like her and Bryan wouldnt let me get one :) Anyways..Hope all is well now.

Sarah B said...

Gotta love rental housing. Other people come and fix the messes that are made. :) Well...most of the time...

Amanda said...

Sorry about your horrible weekend. What a mess with the flooding. :( Hopefully they got it all taken care of for you. And hopefully this weekend is much better. :)