Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Devil's Tower National Monument

I had a baby Dr. appointment last Tuesday, where they told me I was still all sealed up, so we decided it would be okay to take a little trip. We've been wanting to go see Devil's Tower National Monument in Wyoming, which is about 2 hours away from Rapid City. Adam took last week off, so we made a day trip of it on Wednesday.

Of course, being the pregnant lady that I am, I had to pee halfway through the trip. Unfortunately, the only place to stop was a little town called Aladdin, Wyoming, with a population: 15 sign. The little town boasted a 110 year old convenience store that was open for business. The lady inside said the bathroom was behind the building, and lucky for me, she had just "freshened it up."

Adam got quite a kick out of the fact that I had to sit on the nasty wooden bench with a hole in it to do my business. The hole was too far back on the bench for any attempt at hovering. I thought about all of the men that had soaked the wood through the years. It's not like you can really sanitize porous wood, right? It was really cold and dark in there too. It made me feel bad for the pregnant ladies in the old days that had to get up 4 times a night to use the outhouse. I decided I would have kept a bucket by my bed...

We finally made it to Devil's Tower, where we were greeted by hundreds of prairie dogs.

You can kind of see Heidi in the picture below. She wasn't allowed on the 1.3 mile trail around the base of the monument though, so she had to wait in the car.

The little hike was quite enjoyable. There was about an inch of snow on the ground and the trail was paved, so it wasn't too bad. The lady at the visitor's center seemed really worried that I was going to fall and hurt myself, so I used Adam as my walking stick.



It was a nice little family day trip, and we were glad to have made it out there before they closed for the season.

1 comment:

Juli said...

I'm glad you had a good trip. We've thought about visiting Devils Tower. The "bathroom" doesn't sound like it was very fun.